Saturday, March 3, 2012

Feeling a little old

13 years ago today, I was 8 1/2 mths pregnant, headed to work as normal. I was determined to work up until the day I delivered, so that I could spend my full 12 weeks maternity leave with my baby. Little did I know, today was the day I was starting my maternity leave. I remember this day like it was yesterday. I got to work, and it was business as usual. At about 11, 5 hours into my shift, I felt a bit funny, and realized that my water broke. Oh crap, what was I supposed to do next. After standing around for a few minutes, and gathering a few towels, I did what every normal woman in labor does - drove myself to my doctor's office that was 20 minutes away. Yeah, yeah, I know - that is not what normal women in labor do.

So I got to my doctor's office, and I was 4 cm dilated. My doctor decided that I could not drive the 2 blocks to the hospital, and needed to wait for someone to drive me. Well hubby was over an hour away at work, so luckily my mother in law came and drove me, and we waited for hubby. Well, I'm happy to say that I had the most uneventful labor ever. My insurance made us sign up for an epidural in advance, and since I'm cheap, I didn't want to waste the $100 if I didn't need one, so I didn't sign up for one. Luckily my doctor gave me painkillers that made me feel loopy, and the only eventful thing that happened in my labor was that I smacked my sister in law in the face. I have not lived that down, even 13 years later.


Ok, so fast forward to 13 years later. I now have a teenager, and while he is an awesome kid, I am starting to feel the effects of teenage hormones. Why is my sweet kid talking back? Ugh, I don't know if he and I will make it through his teenage years. My only comfort is that I know I am not alone in this. Ryan's saving grace is that is focused - he knows what he wants, and so far he isn't letting anything (and by this I mean peer pressure) derail him. I hope and pray that he stays on this track through his high school years.












So no more complaining - I have an awesome teenager. Happy Birthday to my baby, who is no longer a baby, Ryan. I hope your teen years are even better than your preteen years. You are a smart, ambitious, talented young man, and I am so proud of you.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, look at those pics!!! I always think Ryan should be a toddler still. Too much growing going on.

    ReplyDelete