Tuesday, October 18, 2011


After a wonderful weekend, I was glad that it carried into today with Hunter's counselor appointment. We haven't been making very much progress over the month and 1/2 that we have been going. Usually our appointments consisted of Hunter telling me on the way to the appointment that he wasn't going to talk and then  the counselor and me talking with Hunter either hiding behind me or a pillow, not saying a word. To say I was very discouraged, would be an understatement. I was almost at the point where I thought that it was a waste of my time and money, and that Hunter would never open up to the counselor.

Well today, when we drove to the appointment, and Hunter never mentioned that he wasn't going to talk. Should I get my hopes up? Usually when we wait, Hunter complains he's bored, today he played contently on his phone.   Then it was our turn to go in, and Hunter actually shook the counselor's hand. That in itself was amazing. But as soon as we went in, behind the pillow he went. My hopes began to falter. The counselor said that he thought it might be time for me to go to the waiting room, and leave Hunter and him to talk by themselves. As hard as it was for "mama bear" to leave her cub in this awkward situation, I knew that it was best for him, and he wouldn't progress if I kept answering for him.

As I sat in the waiting room, I kept looking at the clock, knowing that they would come out early, with little success in the session. I was so anxious, trying to read the book that my running mama friend lent me. 4:30 came - still in there, 4:45 - I was beginning to again be hopeful, 5:00 - they were supposed to be done, was it really going that well? I could only hope. About 5:10 they came out to the waiting room, and I was pleasantly surprised when the counselor said Hunter did great. I am so proud of my baby - he had such an awesome day, today! So after soccer practice, I decided I would reward him - he has been asking for a mcdouble for weeks (yes, I know they aren't good for you, but we rarely ever eat there anymore), so I stopped and got him a mcdouble and a small fry. And the night still went great after that, he did his homework without complaint, and asked to play on the computer, which I allowed since he was behaving so well, but he never made it that far, as he is sound asleep.

I love days like this, everything we did was not an issue, and he went to bed without me even asking. Realistically I know not every day will be like this, but I can wish, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment