Saturday, October 15, 2011

Faith Lutheran 5K race report

So the Faith Lutheran 5K was my very first race I ran back in October of 2009, and I loved it. I came in 3rd for my age group finishing in 32:58.Talk about a thrill, who would've thought I would win a medal on my very first race. So exciting! I can still remember the details about the race, and how much fun it was. It almost seemed effortless and my sister in law and BFF and I ran together, talking our whole way through the race. Well, this will be the third time I have run this race, and it is still my favorite 5K. Last year, I didn't do so well with it, but this year I finished in 33:31, only 32 seconds slower than my first. I think I could've PR'd.


Let me back up a step, this is the first race that both my sons and I have run a race together. I have ran with each of them by themselves, but never all three of us together. I was so excited this morning to do this. We met my sister in law at the race, and all went in and got our shirts and our chips. We all lined up and my sons decided to line up in the front, while Kerri and I lined up in the middle. The boys took off at the start, and Kerri and I started at an easy pace. I was slower than Kerri, so I told her to go on. I am not one to hold anyone back - it's a race, and you should go at the pace you feel comfortable with.


Since both boys beat me in their last races, I never expected to see either of them, but not too far into it I ran into my youngest. Unfortunately, his race wasn't what he wanted, he said his legs were tired from soccer the night before. I think he was upset because his brother was beating him, and it looked like even if he tried his hardest he wasn't getting a medal. My heart was torn, do I stay with him, or do I keep going - I really wanted to PR at this race. I stayed with him for a while, trying to encourage him to run, even tried doing intervals with him, but he would only run about 30 seconds before he stopped and walked. Even though I felt horrible, I went on without him. (I still feel horrible about it even though he told me after the race he wanted me to keep on going).


Even with that little snag, I felt so strong running, better than I have since that the first time I ran it. I truly think I could've PR'd at this race, don't get me wrong, I don't regret walking with my son, I felt it was the right thing to do at that time .My oldest son and I decided we are going to run another 5K next weekend, and my youngest decided he didn't want to do another one so soon. So, hopefully, I will be able to PR next weekend - but if I don't I'm okay with it. I realize that I just love the feeling of the race, even if I come in dead last :)

2 comments: