Monday, August 29, 2011

Lots going on right now

It has been a busy few weeks in my household. School started last week for the boys and me, luckily this is my last semester and I will have earned my Bachelors Degree. It has been a long, hard road and I am very proud of myself. I will be graduating with Honors, and while that may not be a huge deal to some, it is a major deal for me. Because, I am a perfectionist when it comes to school; it killed me to earn a B, I had to earn A's. Stupid, I know, but that's just the way I am.

Another thing major going on in my family, as I have posted before, I have finally realized that I can't help my son on my own, it was time to turn to professional help. We went to the doctor 2 weeks ago, and he gave him some medicine to take. Let me preface this saying, I have been totally against taking him to a doctor to get meds. I did not want him to become a zombie, or take something that would hinder him in the future. In fact, I have been fighting this for the entire 9 years of his life. He has always been a challenge, and I thought that he would grow out of it, but unfortunately that wasn't the case, it only got worse. So, I finally gave in, and took him to a doctor, and it was probably one of the best decisions I could have made - thank you hubby for pushing me to do this. Things are already so much better, he's much calmer, and even tempered, but yet he still has his spirit. I was worried he would lose it, but he didn't. He is also going to see a counselor, which with him being so shy, I was worried that he wouldn't open up to him, but after our first visit, even though he didn't really speak to the counselor, he acted in a way that I knew he would open up quickly. A huge relief on my part, now I know he is getting help and will be much happier because of it.

On the running front, things have been challenging but still good. I am currently on week 3 of my 1/2 marathon training plan. Last week, I began to start with my excuses like last time. The only difference is this time, I do not want to let myself fall back into the "easy" way out. It's so easy to say, I'm too tired, or I had a bad night, etc., etc. But those are just excuses and if we let ourselves get away with that, we are only hurting ourselves. I looked over my training last time, and it was so inconsistent. I would run 3 times one week, and the next only once, and there was no cross training at all. No wonder why I felt so completely unprepared when it came to race day. My own goal for my next 1/2 is to run it without feeling like I am going to die, and the only way I know to do it is to make sure I train completely for it. So this is where my mind struggles. I know that I should work out, and I want to work out, but I also don't want to work out because its hard, and I'm "tired". So I have to keep pushing myself. They say you form a habit after 21 days, but I'm not so sure about that. I think it is always a struggle, no matter how many days it is. You have to keep convincing yourself to do it, its good for you physically and mentally. I hope some day it becomes a little easier to convince myself, but then again, maybe the struggle is there to make me stronger. I guess I will never completely know.

No comments:

Post a Comment