Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Torch Run


Today I was blessed with participating in a great event - the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics. This is the second year in the row that I have done it, and I love it so much that I even miss the Administrative Professionals Luncheon at work. It's a 2.1 mile run with some really big hills (at least big hills for Florida).






My lieutenant, detective and I are hardcore. We run from the end to the start line before the torch run starts and then run back with the group. The runner in me was psyched with my time for the first two miles - 10:27 minute/mile, and I walked all of about thirty seconds during the entire two miles. I was even happy with my time for the second two miles - about a 11:00 minute/mile, and I walked a tiny bit more, but still was only about a minute during the entire run.









But this run isn't about my time, this run is about the people in public safety who believe in this cause. It's about the people with Down Syndrome that were waiting at the end cheering us on. I was seriously in tears, when I came around the corner and saw the group of them standing there cheering us on like we were their heroes. What they don't know is for me they are the heroes. They are the ones that withstand such adversity every day, and push through it. They are amazing!!!


So, will I miss the administrative's luncheon next year so that I can participate again? Absolutely!!!! For as long as I am able, I will be a part of this great event!! I invite anyone who is able to join in.



**PS - another bright spot in this day was the awesome lunch we had after at a great Mexican restaurant. It was to die for. Here's a picture of my Lieutenant's lunch -  he ate every last bite of it.



2 comments: